Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rule Number One

This isn't really about Rule Number One: either the Whovian or Pratchettian version.

I have, thanks to the grace of the BBC and Amazon.com, finished season 6 of Doctor Who. Yes, yes, let there be rejoicing in the streets and cheering throughout.

And I have thoughts -- plenty of 'em! -- on an episode-by-episode basis, but as I think about those posts and what I want to say, one thought from the season-as-a-whole perspective keeps returning to me in an absolutely irresistible fashion.

It's a message to Steven Moffat and the message is this:

Mr. Moffat.

Thank you. In all seriousness, thank you so much for what you have done for a show I have loved for many, many years. Between you and Russell T. Davies, you have done what I never seriously considered to be possible, so thank you.

However, having just watched season 6 -- good one with Gaiman, by the way -- I have one word for you and that word is this: midichlorions.

Google it if you have to or simply watch Star Wars: Phantom Menace.

I urge you to think.

Think very carefully.

Think very long and hard and for many many hours, or possibly days, before you explain what no-one in their right minds wants you to explain.

Thank you for your consideration.


No comments: